Whether you are a solo ager, or the adult child of a person wishing to age in place, we offer consultations to assist you in addressing the many factors that go into staying safely at home:
- Home Safety Evaluation. Is your current home age-friendly? We will go through and identify those areas or rooms that need modifications to address the most common challenges. Many fixes are easy: grab bars in the bathroom, improved lighting in the hall. Others may be more extensive, such as remodeling for living all on one floor (no stairs to the bedroom or bath).
- Support options. At some point everyone begins to need help with intimate tasks of personal care (showering, for instance, or dressing). This may or may not be something you want to have family members assist with. We can discuss the most common needs and talk about the best home care assistance in [Your Service Area]. Also, strategies for overcoming the caregiver shortage.
- Transportation. According to the American Automobile Association, most of us will outlive our ability to drive safely by 7 – 10 years. This means you will likely be dependent on others or need to pay for transportation. Together we’ll look at the transportation options for seniors that are available in your current neighborhood and talk about those that seem most in line with the activities you enjoy. You do not want to be homebound!
- Finances. How to pay for care? Medicare does not cover non-medical home care assistance. That expense usually needs to be paid out of pocket. We can help you estimate the costs to see if your financial reserves are enough to cover this expense. We will also look at other insurance coverage you may have.
- Social isolation. As lovely as it sounds to age in place, the reality is that it can be quite isolating, especially if you have transportation challenges. Loneliness and isolation are truly hazardous to your health. Together we will discuss your current circle of social support and brainstorm on ways that you can stay easily connected with the people who are important to you.